Saturday, July 28, 2007

Education- Personal View



I haven't blogged in some time. The picture you see here is a picture of my mother. She was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last November and has been battling it ever since. Like many, I'm experiencing the challenge of trying to complete my education and deal with "life" at the same time. This summer I've been caring for a sick parent, working full-time, and tackling two summer class... all while being a single mother with two very active children. To boot, my job has required quite a bit of travel over the last three months, so that has added to my dilemma of needing more than 24 hours in a day.

Many, if they are smart, will get their undergraduate degree out of the way before taking on a family, however, quite a few will have family responsiblities and jobs to deal with when making the decision to obtain a graduate degree. It is at this point that you have to ask yourself just how important the degree is to you? The time it takes is a sacrifice. While pursing my undergraduate degree over the last four years, I've missed my children's sporting events, time that I should have spent with my mother, and have given up any opportunity of having a social life. I've experienced guilt, exhaustion, and some lonliness as a result of taking classes.

In my situation, my undergraduate degree was worth the sacrifice because I am the sole provider for my children and needed the degree to increase my chances of earning a living that would allow me to provide for them. In my case, the sacrifice paid off. I was promoted to General Manager of my facility last week.

The MBA is a little different because it takes you to the next level. Most people purue MBAs so that they have greater earning potential. How much is enough? That is what each individual needs to decide. Is earning a higher salary worth the two years that you devote to earning your degree? In some cases, the answer to that is yes and in some cases it is no, but either way it is a question that each individual pursuing a degree needs to ask.

No comments: